Applications will be received until July 1st.
The Cultural Corporation of Puerto Montt, with the support of the Council for Culture and Arts and the Puerto Montt City Hall will hold the third version of the ENFOTO photography contest in August 2017.The affair is an expository and dialogue-oriented event surrounding the discipline, aiming to promote, diffuse and document regional photography, and speak with the community about the processes and developments in the field of photography and the contemporary practices and problems about pictures.
Several activities surrounding photography will be programmed, which will take place in the Diego Rivera art house in the city of Puerto Montt, capital of the Los Lagos region, in southern Chile. In 2017, a collective exhibition on contemporary photography will be held, as well as workshops with celebrated exponents of Chilean and Latin American photography, workshops for high school students, community discussion groups, film and photography series and the award ceremony of the winning photographic work in the region.
ABOUT THE CATEGORIES
Three different categories for participation were established:
1- Documentary photography
Individual photographs or photo series of at least 4 shots that depict social, cultural, environmental themes or local, national or international daily life.
2- Artistic photography
Individual photographs or photo series with at least 4 photographs that depict the creative, reflection or free experimentation process using photography as a vehicle, through analogue or digital means.
Multimedia applications developed from a series of still images or motion pictures that have a photograph as the central element of its creation (composition aspects, use of light, chromatic treatment, among other variables associated with the construction of photographs), that posses temporary and sequential characteristics and that can be exhibited through a digital device for video screening (not including animation or illustration). The participants can submit a maximum of 4 pieces, individual or series, in one or several categories.
ABOUT SUBMITTAL PROCESS AND REQUIREMENTS
Applications will be assessed in two phases.
PHASE 1: DIGITAL APPLICATION
Candidates must submit the following to email@example.com:
- A folder with the artist’s first and last name, separated by an underscore (e.g. Artemio_Urrutia) containing the photographs or photo series that the candidate wishes to submit. Individual photographs must be copied in the root folder, while photo series must be copied in subfolders with the word series and the name separated with an underscore (e.g. series_horizontes).
- The photographs must be copied in jpg format and have 1500 pixels on their longest side (e.g. 1500 x 1000 px)
- The folder must also include the registration form for the third photography contest in word format.
- Multimedia proposals can be submitted through remote file transferring (wetransfer, docs, dropbox or others), through mp4 or mov files, copied in a folder with the aforementioned characteristics and the attached registration form.
The photographs and registration form must be sent before July 1st, 2017.
The jury will select a maximum of 20 proposals and a minimum of 15 among the submitted series and individual photographs. The selection will be published July 7th to continue with the process of physical delivery for the final sample.
PHASE 2: PHYSICAL DELIVERY
The selected candidates for the final sample must deliver physical copies of their photographs to the institution with the following specs:
- The pieces must be mounted on stretcher frames with black, white or gray moldings or other neutral colors.
- They must be mounted on rigid supports (Sintra, Trovicel) reinforced with strips or supports that make their hanging process easier.
- The use of other supports or materials must be checked directly with the organization
The delivered copies must comply with the minimum and maximum size formats described as follows:
- Minimum format: 30 cm on their shortest side (e.g. 30 x 30 cm (1:1), 30 x 40 cm (4:3), 30 x 45 cm (3:2) or other equivalent proportions)
- Maximum format: 100 cm on their longest side (e.g. 100 x 100 cm (1:1), 100 x 75 cm (4:3), 100 x 65 cm (3:2) or other equivalent proportions).
- Minimum format: 4 pictures of 20 cm on their shortest side (e.g. 20 x 20 cm (1:1), 20 x 15 cm (3:4), 20 x 30 (2:3) or other equivalent proportions).
- Maximum format: The addition of all photo sizes in the series must not exceed 1,5 m2.
Other formats or proportions must be checked directly with the organization.
PIECE SUBMITTAL DEADLINE:
The photographs must be delivered to Diego Rivera art house in Puerto Montt or sent to Puerto Montt’s Cultural Corporation at Quillota 116, Puerto Montt, between July 8th and August 1st, 2017. The jury will determine in this final phase who will win the regional prize for photography and the honorable mentions for each category.
ABOUT THE PRIZES
- The jury will award a prize to the featured photographic piece of the region, which will consist of an individual exhibition at the Diego Rivera art house during 2018, according to the CCPM norms for this type of space. They will receive a grant of 1,000,000 pesos to produce the exhibition. The jury will take into account the photographic proposal submitted for the exhibit and the artist’s trajectory.
- Junto a este reconocimiento, se entregarán menciones honrosas a una obra destacada por cada categoría definida en las bases.
- Furthermore, all categories will have honorable mentions. The selected photographers for the collective sample will have the right to participate in a training program with renowned photography exponents in Chile and Latin America.
- All selected pieces will be included in a catalogue to be edited by the Cultural Corporation and delivered to each candidate at the end of the event.
- All applications that fully comply with the requirements and formal processes, materials and concepts and documents expressed in the contest’s rules will be accepted for jury assessment.
- The jury will select 20 pieces maximum and 15 minimum.
- The organization will publicly inform the final selection through CCPM’s platforms.
- The jury will be able to declare the acknowledgement of applicants null in any given category if appropriate.
- The jury’s decision will be unappealable.
- The jury will be able to settle unforeseen situations in the contest’s rules by taking a vote. These incidents will be fully recorded in the resolution’s minute, which will be made known to the public.
ABOUT THE PIECES’ COPYRIGHT
- Copyright responsibility exclusively falls on the author. Pieces can not be submitted on someone else’s behalf, with the exception of artists who are overseas or have trouble delivering the copies personally.
- The pieces’ intellectual property rights will fall on each author, but Puerto Montt’s Cultural Corporation will be able to use the selected pieces for any promotional material for the exhibit and the event, through print or electronic reproductions that will be diffused in the corporation’s virtual and physical platforms.
SUBMITTAL OF DIGITAL PIECES (PHASE 1) until July 1st
PUBLICATION OF SELECTED PIECES July 7th
SUBMITTAL OF PHYSICAL PIECES (PHASE 2) until August 1st
INAUGURATION OF THE EXHIBITION August 9th
PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOPS August 12th, 19th and 26th
OPEN PORTAFOLIOS August 11th, 18th and 25th
Quillota 116, Third floor
Phone numer: 652482640
Email: fotografía.firstname.lastname@example.org / www.culturapuertomontt.cl